New York Sex Crimes Attorney
On a daily basis, individuals are arrested and charged New York with sex crimes. A sex crime can range anywhere from a Rape in the First Degree to a Prostitution. Regardless of whether the accusations are true, a giant stigma attaches by the mere accusation. The inevitable result is that the person accused or charged with these sex crimes are immediately labels a pariah, which has profound effects on one's life and future.
It may start this way: you receive a call from a Detective with the NYPD who wants to talk to you about an allegation of a sex crime. The detective wants you to come to the precinct, or may you get a personal visit at your home. If this scenario sounds familiar, before you do or say anything, it is in your very best interest to immediately contact the New York Sex Crimes Attorneys at Sullivan & Brill at 212-566-1000 immediately.
Sex Offender Registration Attorneys
The effects of an arrest for a sex crime in New York are bad – but the effects of a conviction for a sex crime in New York are worse. That is because New York's Sex Offense Registration Act (SORA) or what has been routinely referred to as "Megan's Law," requires one who is convicted of designated sex crime to register with the local law enforcement for at least 20 years – if you are found to be a low-risk offender - and very often for life.
If you are convicted of a designated sex crime and obligated to register with the under New York State's Sex Offender Registry, here is a list of just some of the obligations you will have:
- Report annually where you live by signing and returning an annual verification form to the New York Division of Criminal Justice Services (DCJS) within 10 days after receiving it;
- Notify DCJS in writing of a new address no later than 10 days after moving;
- Report in person to a local police agency to have a current photograph taken every three years (Level 1 and 2 offenders) or every year (Level 3 offenders);
- Notify DCJS in writing of any institution of higher education they are attending, enrolled, living or employed. Any change in status must be reported to DCJS no later than 10 days after the change;
- Provide in writing Internet service providers, Internet screen names and e-mail accounts;
- Level 3 offenders and offenders with a sexual predator designation must personally verify their addresses every 90 days with law enforcement;
With so much at stake, it is important that you call the New York Sex Crimes Attorneys at Sullivan & Brill, LLP the minute you become aware that you are wanted in connection with a sex crime in New York or when you are arrested for a sex crime in New York.
EXPERIENCED NEW YORK SEX CRIMES ATTORNEYS
The sex crimes units of all of the District Attorney's Offices in New York will be hard at work gathering evidence to build a prosecution against you. Each DA's office has a wide-range of resources, like DNA and forensic analysis, at their disposal. In order for you to have a strong defense, you must hire sex crimes lawyers who have experience and the know-how to combat this government power.
Contact the Firm
For New York State criminal cases, the attorneys of Sullivan & Brill, LLP help clients throughout New York City (NYC - Manhattan, Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island), Nassau County, Suffolk County, and Westchester County, as well as the other NY counties. For federal cases, the firm's lawyers assist clients throughout the United States and Puerto Rico.
In addition to it's New York office, the firm also has an office in San Juan, Puerto Rico staffed by an experienced federal criminal defense attorney.
Sex Crimes News
May 7, 2012: Ex-NYPD cop Michael Pena gets 75 to life in gunpoint sex assault on teacher
A former NYPD officer was sentenced to 75 years to life for raping a woman in the inwood section of New York. The case made headlines due to the jury's decision to acquit the NYPD officer of the most serious offense of Rape in the First Degree and instead convict on the lesser charge of Sexual As...
February 22, 2012: Teacher Charged With Sexually Abusing Boys
A Queens computer teacher has been arrested for sexually abusing two elementary school students, authorities said. Wilbert Cortez, 49, allegedly touched the genitals and the buttocks of an 8-year-old and a 9-year-old over their clothes in his classroom at Public School 174 in Rego Park on at leas...
February 17, 2012: Aide at a Manhattan School Is Charged With Sexual Abuse
A teacher’s aide at P.S. 87, a highly regarded Manhattan public elementary school, was arrested after he allegedly sexually abused a student. The accused, Gregory Atkins, 56, was working at the Upper West Side public school since November 2008 and has been a part of the school system since 2001...
February 10, 2012: MTA workers bust man sexually assaulting woman on J train tracks
A woman was sexually assaulted after getting off the subway just after 1 a.m. on Wednesday. The suspect, Michael Torres, 29, allegedly grabbed the 36-year-old on the escalator as she exited the J train at the bowery station in Manhattan. According to authorities, Torres was armed with a screw dri...
115 Broadway, 17th Floor
New York, NY 10006
236 Domenech Avenue
San Juan, Puerto Rico 00918
Recent Developments at Sullivan & Brill
- Some Good Options for Clients Charged with Drug Crimes in Federal Court
- Read here to read about new developments on Bail in New York Criminal Defense Matters
- Click Here to read Steven Brill's Recent Interview on Hate Crimes
- Steven Brill Successfully Argued that Client Charged with Running over a 1 Million Dollar Ponzi Scheme be Sentenced to Less Time
- A Federal Investigation finds that 5 Jailed in 1995 Killing of New York City Cab Driver are Innocent
- Sullivan & Brill Retained to Represent Client Arrested and Charged with Possession with Intent to Sell Cocaine in Queens County
- Sullivan & Brill's Client Charged with RICO Conspiracy in Newburgh Latin Kings Indictment Found Not Guilty of ALL Conspiracy Charges
- Sullivan & Brill Retained to Represent Woman Charged with the Federal Crimes of Money Laundering and Conspiracy to Produce False Identification
- Sullivan & Brill attorney,Steven Brill, was Interviewed for Article in Lawyers.com. on the Stop and Frisk Policy in New York City. Click this Link to See what he Had to Say
- Sullivan & Brill's Client who was Charged with Federal Drug Conspiracy in the SDNY was Recently Sentenced to a Term Below the Sentencing Guideline Level