February 10, 2012: MTA workers bust man sexually assaulting woman on J train tracks
A woman was sexually assaulted after getting off the subway just after 1 a.m. on Wednesday. The suspect, Michael Torres, 29, allegedly grabbed the 36-year-old on the escalator as she exited the J train at the bowery station in Manhattan. According to authorities, Torres was armed with a screw driver when he took the victim by the neck, ordered her not to scream and then dragged her to an unused portion of the subway tracks.
Once out of sight on the unused tracks, the suspect attempted to rape the woman but her screams alerted nearby workers. Four MTA workers heard screams coming from the scene of the crime and went over to inspect the situation. Upon hearing the track workers close by, Torres fled on foot but was caught by police and arrested a short while later.
The police used an image that was captured on subway surveillance tapes as Torres left the station to track him down. Police Commissioner Ray Kelly commented on how the man was found and arrested: "That picture was taken by detectives to the surrounding area [and] someone recognized him.” If convicted of any of the multiple charges being brought against him, Torres will likely face a hefty prison sentence. He has been charged with assault, attempted rape, criminal sex act, reckless endangerment and criminal possession of a weapon.
If you or someone you know has been charged with a crime such as this one, you should immediately seek advice from a criminal defense lawyer that is experienced in handling sexual assault and assault cases. For a free consultation with such an attorney, complete the form to the left or call 212-566-1000. Based in New York City, Sullivan & Brill, LLP represents clients throughout the United States, as well as in Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx, Staten Island, Nassau County, Suffolk County, Westchester County and other upstate New York counties.
115 Broadway, 17th Floor
New York, NY 10006
236 Domenech Avenue
San Juan, Puerto Rico 00918
Recent Developments at Sullivan & Brill
- Some Good Options for Clients Charged with Drug Crimes in Federal Court
- Read here to read about new developments on Bail in New York Criminal Defense Matters
- Click Here to read Steven Brill's Recent Interview on Hate Crimes
- Steven Brill Successfully Argued that Client Charged with Running over a 1 Million Dollar Ponzi Scheme be Sentenced to Less Time
- A Federal Investigation finds that 5 Jailed in 1995 Killing of New York City Cab Driver are Innocent
- Sullivan & Brill Retained to Represent Client Arrested and Charged with Possession with Intent to Sell Cocaine in Queens County
- Sullivan & Brill's Client Charged with RICO Conspiracy in Newburgh Latin Kings Indictment Found Not Guilty of ALL Conspiracy Charges
- Sullivan & Brill Retained to Represent Woman Charged with the Federal Crimes of Money Laundering and Conspiracy to Produce False Identification
- Sullivan & Brill attorney,Steven Brill, was Interviewed for Article in Lawyers.com. on the Stop and Frisk Policy in New York City. Click this Link to See what he Had to Say
- Sullivan & Brill's Client who was Charged with Federal Drug Conspiracy in the SDNY was Recently Sentenced to a Term Below the Sentencing Guideline Level