Minor Offenses and Desk Appearance Tickets (DATs)
NEW YORK DAT LAWYERS AND NEW YORK SUMMONS LAWYERS
The NYPD set out each day to hand out summonses or Desk Appearance Tickets (DATs) for minor crimes. New York Summons and DATs are only issued for non-violent crimes and to first-time offenders. Some of the charges that generally warrant a summons or DAT are: theft of services (jumping the turnstile), public urination, shoplifting, possession of small amounts of controlled substances, and possession of small amounts of marijuana.
WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF YOU HAVE BEEN GIVEN A SUMMONS OR DAT
If you have been given a summons or a DAT, you luckily will not go through the “system,” or experience the normal arraignment procedure. That is a plus, considering that the normal arraignment procedure may keep you in a holding cell for sometimes close to 24 hours. The procedure when one is issued a New York summons or DAT is much more palpable. When you are stopped and given either a summons or a DAT, you will be given a “ticket” and told to return to the criminal courthouse, depending on which borough you were stopped, on a day in the future. Usually it may be about two months from the day you receive the summons or the DAT.
Some may think that because these are minor crimes, there is less to worry about and you will not need the services of an experienced New York Criminal Lawyer. You should not necessarily think that way. Although the crimes charged are minor, they may still be crimes. In fact, when one receives a DAT, that is considered an arrest. In theory, if you are convicted of the charge on the summons or the DAT, you could sustain a criminal record, which is turn, could lead to negative consequences for your employment, driver’s license privileges or your immigration status. In addition, if you do not return to court on the date indicated on the summons or DAT, the prosecution can request and a judge can issue a bench warrant for your arrest. Needless to say, when you receive a NYC summons or a DAT, it is a good idea to have an attorney handle it.
What this boils down to is: do not make what is a relatively minor situation worse. If you have been arrested and given a New York summons or a DAT, call the New York Summons Lawyers and the New York DAT Lawyers at Sullivan & Brill. It is never too early to call our New York summons lawyers or our New York DAT lawyers. Our New York summons lawyers and New York DAT lawyers will advise you of all of the options and risks of a summons or a DAT, as well as appear with you (or for you if you are a corporation or residing out of the city) when you are scheduled to appear.
Contact the Firm
For New York State criminal cases, the attorneys of Sullivan & Brill, LLP help clients throughout New York City (NYC - Manhattan, Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island), Nassau County, Suffolk County, and Westchester County, as well as the other NY counties. For federal cases, the firm's lawyers assist clients throughout the United States and Puerto Rico.
In addition to it's New York office, the firm also has an office in San Juan, Puerto Rico staffed by an experienced federal criminal defense attorney.
Minor Offenses and Desk Appearance Tickets News
NYPD Policy for issuing DATs for Marijuana Possession
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/12/07/low-level-marijuana-arrests-down-after-nypd-puts-new-policy-in-place/ It is important to note that the NYPD has set out to take...
115 Broadway, 17th Floor
New York, NY 10006
236 Domenech Avenue
San Juan, Puerto Rico 00918
Recent Developments at Sullivan & Brill
- Some Good Options for Clients Charged with Drug Crimes in Federal Court
- Read here to read about new developments on Bail in New York Criminal Defense Matters
- Click Here to read Steven Brill's Recent Interview on Hate Crimes
- Steven Brill Successfully Argued that Client Charged with Running over a 1 Million Dollar Ponzi Scheme be Sentenced to Less Time
- A Federal Investigation finds that 5 Jailed in 1995 Killing of New York City Cab Driver are Innocent
- Sullivan & Brill Retained to Represent Client Arrested and Charged with Possession with Intent to Sell Cocaine in Queens County
- Sullivan & Brill's Client Charged with RICO Conspiracy in Newburgh Latin Kings Indictment Found Not Guilty of ALL Conspiracy Charges
- Sullivan & Brill Retained to Represent Woman Charged with the Federal Crimes of Money Laundering and Conspiracy to Produce False Identification
- Sullivan & Brill attorney,Steven Brill, was Interviewed for Article in Lawyers.com. on the Stop and Frisk Policy in New York City. Click this Link to See what he Had to Say
- Sullivan & Brill's Client who was Charged with Federal Drug Conspiracy in the SDNY was Recently Sentenced to a Term Below the Sentencing Guideline Level