Arrested for Homicide in New York
If you read or watch the news on a daily basis, you will consistently see stories about individuals charged with homicide in New York. In fact, in 2011, there was a 14% rise in homicides from 2010. The NYPD has a great variety of investigative tools and techniques to investigate homicides. Also, in each of the five boroughs, the NYPD has its own special homicide unit to dedicate manpower and resources to make arrests of individuals and charge them with homicide. In order to defend yourself against homicide accusations, you need experienced and tough homicide lawyers. The New York criminal defense lawyers at Sullivan & Brill can help you.
Generally defenses of homicide charges fall into two categories: Identification and Self-Defense. Often times the NYPD will arrest the wrong person for committing the homicide. This can occur when the NYPD receive a tip or hear "on the street" about the perpetrator of the homicide. However, these tips are not always credible. The New York homicide attorneys at Sullivan & Brill will fully scrutinize the quality of these accusations and the credibility of the accusers.
At other times, a homicide occurs but the one who committed it was legally justified in doing so – this is called justification or self-defense. In general, if one reasonably believes that he or someone else is in imminent danger of deadly harm, one is justified in using deadly force as protection. It is important to remember that a self-defense case is extremely fact sensitive – which means that the circumstances surrounding the homicide and subsequent use of self-defense determine whether one is legally justified or not.
Contact the Firm
It goes without saying that if you are accused of homicide in New York there is a lot at stake. The potential prison sentences are severe. If you or someone you know is arrested for homicide in New York, call the New York homicide lawyers at Sullivan & Brill immediately at 212-566-1000.
For the majority of criminal defense cases, the attorneys of Sullivan & Brill, LLP help clients throughout New York City (NYC - Manhattan, Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, and Staten Island), Nassau County, Suffolk County, and Westchester County, as well as the other NY counties. For federal matters, the firm's federal criminal lawyers assist clients throughout the United States.
News about Homicide Arrests and Charges
February 23, 2012: Update: Ex-Lacrosse Player Convicted in Killing of His Former Girlfriend
On Wednesday, George Huguely, a former University of Virginia lacrosse player, was found guilty of second-degree murder in the killing of h...
February 8, 2012: Opening statements heard at Virginia lacrosse trial
Opening statements were heard today on the case of a former University of Virginia lacrosse player who is accused of fatally beating his ex-girlfriend in May of 2010. The prosecution and criminal defense attorney gave their statements a...
February 8, 2012: California: Man Faces More Murder Counts
In January, police arrested former US marine Itzcoatl Ocampo, for the killings of four homeless men in California. Prosecutors were expected to file formal murder charges for the stabbings that occurred in late December. Those closest to him claim that Ocampo was never the same after returning fr...
February 6, 2012: Officer Shot in Head in Brooklyn; Full Recovery Is Expected
A New York City police officer was shot in the head while pursuing a man at a Brooklyn housing project and narrowly evaded losing his life. Kevin Brennan, the 29 year old six year veteran of the force, was brought to Bellvue Hospital Center where the doctors removed the bullet from his skull. He ...
February 6, 2012: NYPD Officer Dies After Being Shot in Face
Peter Figoski, a veteran officer of the NYPD was shot at close range and killed with an illegal semi automatic weapon. The officer was responding as backup to a robbery in progress at a basement apartment in East New York. The first two responding officers who arrived on the scene found the robbe...
115 Broadway, 17th Floor
New York, NY 10006
236 Domenech Avenue
San Juan, Puerto Rico 00918
Recent Developments at Sullivan & Brill
- Some Good Options for Clients Charged with Drug Crimes in Federal Court
- Read here to read about new developments on Bail in New York Criminal Defense Matters
- Click Here to read Steven Brill's Recent Interview on Hate Crimes
- Steven Brill Successfully Argued that Client Charged with Running over a 1 Million Dollar Ponzi Scheme be Sentenced to Less Time
- A Federal Investigation finds that 5 Jailed in 1995 Killing of New York City Cab Driver are Innocent
- Sullivan & Brill Retained to Represent Client Arrested and Charged with Possession with Intent to Sell Cocaine in Queens County
- Sullivan & Brill's Client Charged with RICO Conspiracy in Newburgh Latin Kings Indictment Found Not Guilty of ALL Conspiracy Charges
- Sullivan & Brill Retained to Represent Woman Charged with the Federal Crimes of Money Laundering and Conspiracy to Produce False Identification
- Sullivan & Brill attorney,Steven Brill, was Interviewed for Article in Lawyers.com. on the Stop and Frisk Policy in New York City. Click this Link to See what he Had to Say
- Sullivan & Brill's Client who was Charged with Federal Drug Conspiracy in the SDNY was Recently Sentenced to a Term Below the Sentencing Guideline Level